Thursday, March 21, 2013

Birthday Part 2 / Presentation

      Yesterday would have normally been a regular Rotary meeting, but it was everything but that.
This is because it was me who was giving the presentation. In fact I gave a presentation about where I come from; the state of Oregon. While I would have loved to share a bit about Colombia as well, having a certain time limit, it was not ideal for me as well as my audience.
Instead I focused on introducing Oregon as a whole (state flag, population,industries..) and then moved onto the regions.
Covering a whole spectrum of details from the agriculture, sports and must see destinations I attempted to inform the members of my host club, of all I possibly could.
Lastly, proudly finishing by my town, school, family and friends I think I left a positive image of Oregon. I was also glad to hear several appreciative comments (both on my presentation and state)at the end. With one of the ones that truly struck me, being that for one them they could not imagine that there still existed unpolluted and undomesticated panoramas in the United States.
Finally after a round of applause we headed over to dine, and was I in for a treat!





At the end of the meal the lights were suddenly dimmed and a cake appeared out of no were.
Accompanied by a harmonious serenade of the happy birthday song in Franglais, I swiftly blew out my candle. Then to my utter surprise I was handed two gift sacks. The first one containing a glitzy black wallet and the second one containing the coordinating purse. Followed by a sort of French congratulatory synchronized clap, for my level of French which they said no other exchange student from the club had ever achieved.






Picked out by my first host mother Amélie, I found both gifts to be quite splendorous. But above all the thought was what emotionally moved me as well as card signed by all the Rotary members present.Making a round of kisses to each and every Rotary affiliate ( my poor cheeks hurt after-wards) I received yet again more birthday wishes, as well as the USB card in which the pictures of the next blog post are taken off.

That concludes the second (and unexpected) part of of my 17th birthday as well as my presentation on Oregon.
A bientôt
-Juliana

No comments:

Post a Comment