Thursday, January 10, 2013

Top Ten

It is evident if you know me well enough that I am not always the most positive person.
Due to this, I decided to start out my first real post of 2013 with a fresh breeze of positivism.
The result of this a simple list of the top ten things I adore about France that I hope you as well will enjoy reading.

Lets get started with number one  ( by the way these are in no particular order in terms of preference)


1. Pastries and desserts
What can I say the French really do have this down to an art. Personally I was lucky enough to have my first host mother who enjoyed cooking and the desserts where no exception. Now with my change of host family I still get a tasty treat from time to time but in any case I can always walk to any of the six or so pastrie shops in a matter of minutes.

2.Traditions
While many of the traditons revolve around eating you can also find a variety of unique details that are involved with the holidays.
For example while it was a  miniscule detail, I enjoyed on Christmas Eve placing a boot in front of the Christmas tree so that " le père Noël " will know where to place my presents.

3.Interest in other countries
One thing that I find fascinating is the average level of knowledge that a French person will have of countries outside of France. This makes for individuals who will speak of politics as a light hearted lunch or dinner subject. It also makes you feel like you are in a society that while maybe not any less centered about their own country has a bit more concerned on world wide events and news.

4.Importance of being a citizen
This concept dates back to the French revolution in which the right to universal suffrage was a heavily prioratized subject( or more specificaly to the constitution of June 24th of 1793)  Today you will find that over 70 percent of French citizens eagerly vote. This interests me because this in terms means that a great part of the population actually feels like their vote counts and will not hesitate to act upon this.

5. Wednesdays
For nearly all students in France (below univesity level) Wednesday is composed of only half a day of school. The second half of the day is often devoted to the usuall culprits: homework, sports and rest.
In my case a combination of all the above.

6. The baguette
An essential in all French meals, this indispensable ingredient can make for an excellent way to finish of the sauce of your meal,transport cheese into your mouth or fill up an empty belly. With the added plus of being cheap to top it all off.

7.Cheese
If you are easily insulted I would not recommend talking about cheese to a French person as the reply may be " do you even have cheese in America" or possibly "your cheese is not real cheese as it is pasturized" ( both true life examples). However, as I am not easily insulted I take these remarks as a reflection of how proud one can be for something that is truly special to ones country.
- I must also add that so far I have discovered that one of my favorites is goat cheese ;)

8. Laguage options available at school.
Had I had all these choices I might have been a polyglot by now..

9.Architecture
It is everywhere even the smallest towns have a history and a monument.

10. Paris
The capital of France this amazing city has an unimaginable amount of things to offer.


Well that wraps it up for this post. Yes I am sort of ashamed that food made up nearly half the list.. but we will get over it won't we.


Until next time
-juli

3 comments:

  1. Come visit me sometime! I live in Poitou-Charentes, the region of France known for its goat cheese ;) It is my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juli,

    Me gusto tu lista de cosas y q estes positiva. Te quiere y piensa,
    tu tia A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muy bien por el positivismo, mi amorcito . Así es bueno empezar el año.
    La lista está excelente :)
    Mami

    ReplyDelete